Massachusetts Drivers Education
Are you a first time Driver? Massachusetts State Law requires that all first time drivers take a state drivers Ed course prior to applying for a driver license. Safety is more important than anything else, which is why the state of Massachusetts has put strict laws in place regarding drivers education. To prepare yourself to get your license, you should begin by do the following:
1: Download the appropriate study materials and practice tests
2: Enroll in a state-approved Drivers Ed course
3: Take the state Driver's exam
In Massachusetts you can take driver`s ED when you’re young to prepare yourself for being a full-time driver in the future. Click here to receive your forms and checklists.
Driver`s Education in Massachusetts
In Massachusetts you need to take the driver`s ED course if under 18 as it`s a requirement for all young drivers. To get a certificate you must
- Take Classroom instruction - minimum of 30 hours, this is is to ensure you know the rules and regulations of the road and the associated laws with operating a vehicle.
- Students need to have off-road instruction that totals up to eighteen hours. There must be a total of twelve hours actually behind the wheel.
- Be 15 years and 9 months or older but under 18.
- There`s six hours of observation while another student ins behind the wheel.
The entire program must be completed both the classroom and the driver’s portion for the student to pass. The student must be 16 before they can take part in the on-road instruction portion of the education.
Classroom Study Covers:
- The Massachusetts driver’s license
- The driver’s license privilege
- Motor vehicle safety
- Rules of the road
- Defensive driving and special situations
- Vehicle ownership
Behind the wheel the student will learn the controls and how to apply the classroom knowledge to the road. Students learn how to start the vehicle, use gears, turn around, turn left, turn right, and how to stop of grades. They will learn how to drive in crowded traffic and on the freeway.
To locate a driving School go here:
Find out how to get your Massachusetts Learners Permit here.