Massachusetts Learner's Permit
Once you have completed your Drivers Ed course you will be ready to apply for your Massachusetts learner’s permit. You must:
1: Download and study your practice test
2: Prove that you completed a Traffic Law and Substance Abuse Education Course
3: Visit your local RMV office
Here`s what you need to do to obtain your learner`s permit in Massachusetts. You`ll need to go to your local RMV office to get the license.
Before you go you might want to download the form from this location to save time and study the handbook so you have a better chance of passing the tests.
Receive your Massachusetts learners permit application.
Massachusetts Drivers Handbook
if you have turned 16 then you can get your learner’s permit. Make sure that you study the manual before you go for your test.
- Complete the application for your license which you can get online or at the branch. Refer to link above for an online application.
- If under 18 then a parent or guardian will need to sign the application.
- You`ll need to pay a $30.00 fee for the written test
- Complete a vision test
- The test is 25 questions and you must get 18 correct in 25 minutes for a passing grade
- The tests are done on easy to use computer kiosk desks
- Bring medical documentation if you have a disability
Documents you may need depending upon your situation:
If you are under 18 years of age you’ll need:
- 1 document proving date of birth
- Parental consent
- SSN number that can be verified
Full list of Documents: http://www.mass.gov/rmv/license/primary-secondary-docs.pdf
You`ll need identification to prove: Massachusetts residence, signature, and date of birth. Documents might include:
- An Employment Authorization Card
- SSN number
- A U.S. Citizen Identification Card
- A record of departure in your passport
- A Certificate of Citizenship
- A Non-Resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card
- A Temporary Resident Identification Card
- A Resident Alien Card
- A Certificate of Naturalization
- A Permanent Resident Re-Entry Permit
- A Refugee Travel Document
Other Documents can include:
- Personal check that's canceled
- Original copy of your foreign birth certificate
- A current or expired identification card
- A utility bill
- An original school transcript, not more than 12 months old
- letterhead from your school authored by the principal to confirm you’re a student there
- It`s valid for two years and you can use this to practice fir your driver`s road test.
- You need this permit with you at all times
- A licensed driver must be in the passenger seat with you at all times as you carry your permit. The occupant must be at least 21 years of age and have a valid license with one year of driving experience
- You can`t drive between the hours of 12:00 am and 5:00am unless you`re with a legal guardian or parent.
To get your full license you`ll need to schedule a road test. The permit you receive isn`t your full license. This test requires advance reservation, which you can make any time after you've held the permit for six full months. Just call the RMV Telephone Center weekdays, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. and schedule the road test. From the 617/781 area codes call (617) 351-4500; from the 413/508/978 area codes call (800) 858-3926.
Find out more about drivers education in Massachusetts here.