Obtaining A New Massachusetts Drivers License
Applying for a new driver's license in Massachusetts? Dealing with the RMV doesn't have to be a nightmare. We offer links to resources that will save you time and get you going in the right direction. Select from the options below to get started.
2: Take the RMV Practice Test
3: Report to your local RMV office to apply in person
To get your new driver’s license in Massachusetts you’ll need to visit your local RMV office. Here is what you’ll need to do to get your new license.
For those that are over Age 18 you’ll need the following documentation to prove Massachusetts residence, signature, and date of birth. Documents might include:
- An Employment Authorization Card
- SSN number
- A U.S. Citizen Identification Card
- A record of departure in your passport
- A Certificate of Citizenship
- A Non-Resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card
- A Temporary Resident Identification Card
- A Resident Alien Card
- A Certificate of Naturalization
- A Permanent Resident Re-Entry Permit
- A Refugee Travel Document
Other Documents can include:
- Personal check that's canceled
- Original copy of your foreign birth certificate
- A current or expired identification card
- A utility bill
- An original school transcript, not more than 12 months old
- letterhead from your school authored by the principal to confirm you’re a student there
If you are under 18 years of age you’ll need:
- 1 document proving date of birth
- Parental consent
- SSN number that can be verified
Fill out the application that you can get at the RMV office and pay the $30.00 fee. This will allow you to take the written test fir your licence. You will answer 25 questions and you’ll need to get 18 of them right to pass the test.
- A vision test will be taken
If you fail you’ll need to resubmit all documentation and forms to take the test again. Call 857-368-8105 to take the exam orally if you have a disability that prevents you from taken the written test.
Study the manual located here: http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/dmanual/
You’ll need to supply a suitable vehicle for the test which is insured and registered. The vehicle must be acceptable to the examiner. The vehicle must have an emergency break to be accepted as a test vehicle. There is a $20.00 fee to take the test and if you fail you must pay this fee again to take the test again.
- If you are younger than 18, you must have a clean driving record for six consecutive months prior to the date you scheduled your road test.
- if you have any medical conditions get permission from your doctor prior to taking your test.
- How to get your Massachusetts Learners Permit
- Find out more about Massachusetts Drivers Education
- Take a Practice Test