Massachusetts Salvage Title

An auto involved in an accident in the state of Massachusetts becomes a salvage vehicle if the damage estimate is 100 percent of its value to completely repair or replace it. This will result in the issuance of a Massachusetts Salvage Certificate for the vehicle. It becomes a salvage vehicle and can't be driven on the highways or have a valid license plate. If the vehicle is restored, it has to be inspected before a Rebuilt Title will be issued. A rebuilt vehicle with a MA Salvage Rebuilt Title can be driven on the highways.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the RMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local RMV.

3: Via a RMV office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local RMV office. Varying RMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the RMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your RMV allows you to make a personal appointment.

Massachusetts Salvage Title

In the state of Massachusetts insurance companies have the authority to declare a vehicle a "total loss" if your auto is in an accident. If your insurance company takes possession of the vehicle, they are required to apply for a Salvage Title within 10 days. If you, as the owner of the vehicle retain possession, you can either apply for a Salvage Title or an Owner Retained Title after your salvage vehicle has gone through inspection. An Owner Retained Title can only be issued if the vehicle has an active registration and can be legally driven.

Note: Once a Salvage Title has been issued, the vehicle is no longer registered and cannot be driven.

Massachusetts Salvage Vehicle Inspection

As part of the process of titling your salvaged vehicle, your automobile needs to be inspected. To do this you'll need to fill out an Application for Inspection, then visit your local inspection location authorized by the Massachusetts Title Division/Auto Theft Section.

For more information, you can contact them at 857-368-8050 or visit their website at

Apply for a Massachusetts Salvage Vehicle Title

To apply for a title on a salvaged car in Massachusetts, you'll need to go to your local Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicle (RMV) branch. You'll need to complete and turn in a Salvage Vehicle Certificate of Title Application, along with paying a $50 application fee. You'll also need to have on hand your MA Certificate of Title, bill of sale, proof of insurance and your driver's license.

If you aren't able to visit a local office, you can also mail your application and fees to:

Salvage Title Department
Registry of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 55885
Boston, MA 02205-5885.

Massachusetts Salvage Vehicle Owner Retained Title

Once your salvaged vehicle is rebuilt and/or repaired, you can then apply for a MA Vehicle Owner Retained Title. Just go to your local Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicle (RMV) branch and bring with you:

  • Salvage Certificate
  • Safety inspection paperwork
  • Bill of sale
  • Odometer statement
  • Driver's license
  • Documentation of valid insurance

Once you provide the required information to the RMV, you can fill out a MD Vehicle Title Application.

Title an Abandoned Vehicle in Massachusetts

An Abandoned Vehicle Title in Massachusetts can be claimed by anyone as long as the owner does not come forward to claim it. To claim an abandoned vehicle and title it in Massachusetts, you'll have to first contact your local Massachusetts law authorities, and then fill out a report for the abandoned vehicle.

Your next step it to publish a notice in the newspaper that an abandoned vehicle was found, including its location. This is done to give the prior owner a chance to claim the vehicle. If the prior owner does not come forward, or is not located by authorities within 60 days, you'll be able to apply for a Maine Vehicle Title. For more information contact your local RMV office.