Massachusetts Transfer Car Title

Do you need to transfer your car title in Massachusetts? If a MA car title is currently in your name, but should be amended, learn more about the process and get started by following the steps below.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the RMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local RMV.

3: Via a RMV office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local RMV office. Varying RMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the RMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your RMV allows you to make a personal appointment.

Massachusetts Car Title Transfers

Are you planning on selling your car? If so, you will need to notify the MA Department of Transportation. To begin, you'll need to obtain a RMV-1 form, where you can register your transfer car title in Massachusetts. Will you be gifting your car to a family member? If so, you should also file an MVU-26 form, also known as an Affidavit in Support of a Claim for Exemption from Sales or Use Tax for a Motor Vehicle Transferred Within a Family.

For more information on how to transfer your car title in Massachusetts, click here.